GR Japan is eager to recruit for a Japanese- and English-speaking public policy consultant for the GR Japan office in Tokyo, to support the work of the company’s Energy and Environment team on a range of public affairs issues in the Japanese energy sector, in fields such as energy policy, renewables, climate change, etc.
We are looking for an individual with impressive experience and expertise in energy-related fields, and with a genuine interest in public policy, government, politics, strategy consultancy and/or international business.
Candidates must demonstrate a high level of business or academic achievement and outstanding professional qualities. You will be part of the GR Japan team in Tokyo, working closely with your colleagues around the world.
GR Japan is the leading government relations and public affairs consulting firm in Japan, and is the largest part of the GR Group, with offices in Tokyo and Osaka, Washington D.C., London and Seoul.
GR Japan and the GR Group provide fulfilling career opportunities at the intersection of business and government, helping world-leading corporations, NGOs, industry associations and other stakeholders to engage effectively with government on matters of public policy.
- Leading, managing and supporting energy and environment-sector client accounts
- Working with clients, external stakeholders and colleagues on a variety of key policy challenges
- Contributing to or leading client-specific research on current policy issues
- Helping clients achieve their public policy and other public affairs goals.
- Helping to implement strategic outreach and engagement plans with policy-relevant stakeholders, particularly in the field of energy and the environment.
- All-round support for the GR Japan and GR Group team, including generating ideas and proposals for new business development, especially in the energy field.
- Fluent spoken and written Japanese
- Fluent English, including high-level professional writing ability.
- Good university degree, ideally a master’s or equivalent in a related subject (such as public policy, energy policy, environmental science, engineering, politics, economics, international relations, etc.)
- At least five years of relevant experience, for example in the energy sector or a related industry, government or government relations, politics, academia, a think tank, strategy consulting, etc.
- Strong understanding of Japanese energy policy and the policy-making process in Japan, and a working knowledge of Japanese government and politics.
- A creative and proactive approach to solving complex, policy-related challenges as part of an expert international team.
- A strong desire to contribute to policy dialogue in Japan and to tackle real policy challenges.
- The ability to meet client needs and handle professional client relationships
- A positive, can-do attitude
What you can expect from the GR Group
- A dynamic, multilingual and international work environment
- A competitive salary package and generous social benefits, including 25 days of paid leave per year in addition to holidays over the new year
- Direct exposure to and interaction with key figures in business, government, and civil society
- Opportunities to make a positive contribution to Japan’s energy and environment policy, and to have a far-reaching positive social impact.
- Opportunities for personal skills development and training
- Opportunities to develop and advance your career in government relations and public affairs